Criminal Justice Coordinating Council (CJCC)
Mayor Brandon Scott reestablished Baltimore City’s Criminal Justice Coordinating Council (CJCC) in August 2021. CJCCs are a partnership of senior decision-makers and elected officials who convene on a regular basis to improve the effective administration of justice and coordinate systemic responses to criminal justice issues. The inclusion of stakeholders from city, state, and federal criminal justice agencies allows the CJCC to function as the primary forum for facilitating communication and coordination around policies, programs, and operations. CJCCs break down silos and foster a systems perspective among criminal justice agencies from different branches and levels of government.
The purpose of a CJCC is to identify cross-cutting criminal and juvenile justice issues, promote systemwide accountability to implement coordinated solutions, and facilitate cooperation that will improve public safety and delivery of justice-related services. While each CJCC is structured slightly differently, most maintain a core group of executive-level representatives from criminal justice agencies as full CJCC members. Subcommittees or workgroups invite relevant stakeholders from other governmental entities, service providers, community-based organizations, and residents to participate. The CJCC meets on the second Thursday of February, April, June, August, October, and December beginning at noon. The CJCC will provide an annual report to the public no later than July 31 of each year.
- Baltimore City Mayor, Chair
- Baltimore City State’s Attorney
- Baltimore City Sheriff
- Baltimore Police Commissioner
- Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, Secretary
- Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, Parole and Probation, Director
- Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services, Director
- Maryland Department of Juvenile Services, Secretary
- Maryland Office of the Public Defender, Baltimore City, Director
- United States Attorney for the District of Maryland
More information is available in the CJCC Operating Plan 2021-2023